Fire Extinguisher Inspection and Maintenance
Fire extinguishers are an essential tool for preventing and controlling fires, but they only work if they are properly maintained. Regular fire extinguisher inspection and maintenance can help ensure that the extinguisher is in good working condition and ready for use in case of an emergency. In this article, we’ll answer some common questions about fire extinguisher maintenance and provide tips for inspection and upkeep.
How often do fire extinguishers need servicing?
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fire extinguishers should be inspected at least once a month. In addition, they should be professionally serviced and inspected annually by a licensed fire extinguisher service company. This service should include a thorough inspection, maintenance, and testing of the extinguisher to ensure that it is in proper working condition.
How do you inspect and maintain a fire extinguisher?
Inspecting a fire extinguisher is a straightforward process that can be done in a few simple steps:
- Check the pressure gauge: Ensure that the pressure gauge on the fire extinguisher indicates that it is in the proper operating range.
- Check the safety pin: Make sure that the safety pin is intact and in place.
- Inspect the hose and nozzle: Check the hose and nozzle for any cracks, leaks, or other damage.
- Look for signs of damage or tampering: Inspect the body of the extinguisher for any dents, scratches, or other damage that may impact its performance.
- Check the inspection tag: Ensure that the inspection tag on the fire extinguisher indicates that it has been inspected within the last month.
In addition to these monthly inspections, fire extinguishers should also undergo professional maintenance and testing on an annual basis. This service should be performed by a licensed fire extinguisher service company and may include:
- Checking for proper pressure and weight
- Recharging the extinguisher if necessary
- Inspecting the extinguisher for damage
- Testing the extinguisher to ensure it is working properly
What maintenance is required on the portable fire extinguisher?
In addition to the regular inspections and annual service, there are a few steps you can take to ensure that your portable fire extinguisher is properly maintained:
- Keep the extinguisher in a visible and accessible location
- Make sure that the extinguisher is properly installed and mounted in its bracket
- Keep the extinguisher clean and free from dirt and debris
- Check the expiration date and replace the extinguisher if it has exceeded its service life
What is the service life of a fire extinguisher?
Fire extinguishers are designed to last for many years, but they do have a finite service life. According to the NFPA, fire extinguishers should be replaced every 10 years or if they have been damaged or have exceeded their recommended service life. It’s important to keep track of the expiration date on your fire extinguisher and to replace it when necessary.
In conclusion, proper fire extinguisher maintenance is essential for ensuring that your extinguisher is in good working condition and ready for use in case of an emergency. Regular inspections and professional service can help keep your extinguisher in top condition and help prevent fires from getting out of control. Remember to keep your extinguisher visible and accessible, and to replace it if it has exceeded its service life or has been damaged. By following these tips, you can help ensure the safety of yourself, your family, and your property in the event of a fire.
For more information about Fire Extinguisher Inspection and Maintenance contact Total Safe UK